Constipation in babies is a serious issue and parents must not take it lightly. People make all sorts of fun for those who suffer from constipation, but let me remind each and every single one that constipation is a big problem for everybody, so the focus should be on how to get rid of it. The problem further aggravates in babies who are unable to determine why they are so uncomfortable and in pain. It is even hard for parents to determine if the child is not being able to excrete the solid waste. They will eventually find out, but the thing is, it doesn’t get too late.
Let us find out as to what causes constipation in new born babies and how parents can deal with it
The important signs
Babies do strain when they excrete solid waste, even when they are breastfed. This is perhaps the reason that parents have to change the nappies of the babies too often. When parents find that their babies haven’t passed stools for quite some time, then they start to worry a little because it is not right to hold anything inside, especially the waste. So, parents should contact a paediatrician at once and seek his/her advice.
Constipation occurs when there is a transition in the food type. If the baby is on the liquid diet for a long period, and then, suddenly, he/she is introduced to the solid food, then that can cause constipation. Here are some signs that would confirm if the baby has constipation or not:
- If the baby is not being able to pass stools once a day, then that’s the sign of constipation. The problem can also occur if there is any discomfort in making bowel movements, and the stools are dry and hard.
- If the baby is around 5-6 months old, then parents should check for stomach aches or any irritation in the stomach area.
- With the passing of the bowel movement, stomach pains start to disappear, but not necessarily.
- If the abdomen stays hard for most of the time in a day and only get softens once the baby passes a bowel movement.
- If the stools are dry, hard and brown in color, then it is the sign of constipation.
- Sometimes, the faeces are so hard that they create cuts in the anus and also cause dripping of blood. There is no feeling as worse as passing stools through a bloody anus that has been slightly cut or torn.
There is no need to give the laxative substance to the babies straightaway because the problem doesn’t necessarily be treated by the syrup of figs and that above-mentioned substance. The most appropriate way would be to consult a doctor and seek his/her advice on the issue.
There are a number of preventative measures, which can be taken by parents to avoid the development of the problem in the babies. These measures are dependent upon the age of the baby, as whether it is a newborn baby or a 6-8 months old baby.
If the baby is breastfed, then the chances of having constipation are quite less, but yes, it can occur. If the quantity of food ingested by the baby is more than the required value, then it can result in constipation. So, the right thing to do is, consult a doctor and ask him/her for the safe and effective remedy.
Some babies are formula fed and they are more likely to have constipation. The main reason behind the issue is the inadequate mixing of the formula or a less quantity of water used in the mixture. So, parents have to make sure that the mixture is created in the right way in order to avoid any development of constipation in the babies. It is important for parents to give a good amount of liquids to babies to alleviate constipation. A gentle tummy massage would also work, but make sure that the rubbing is done in the clockwise direction. Parents are going to get a number of advices from their friends, neighbours and/or relatives as to how they can get rid of the constipation in the babies, so parents should consult a doctor before implementing any advice.